Log in

Log in

Floodway Property

  • October 19, 2023 10:22 AM
    Reply # 13269353 on 13268016

    Thank you!

  • October 17, 2023 8:29 AM
    Reply # 13268325 on 13268016

    I asked our current Treasurer as she deals with stuff like this quite often:. Here is her response.

    • If the current owner has a family member that would probate the estate and is made executor of the estate and can deed property over to the City with the City paying the back taxes is the cleanest option. 
    • If that isn't going to happen, the City can go and purchase the tax certificate from Custer County as they sell the tax cert to third parties.  The City would then have to go through the tax deed process to get a treasurer's deed to the property.  
    • Last option is to wait until the County takes it for tax deed and ask that they surplus the property to the City.  

  • October 16, 2023 1:50 PM
    Message # 13268016

    There is a parcel in our City that was found as a remnant parcel several years ago by GIS. The  most recent owner through a deed search was found and a last known address was obtained. The taxes haven't been paid on the parcel since it was found. The most recent owner appears deceased. Short of taking it by tax deed (which the County is not interesting in doing at this time) is there any other option for the City to obtain the property? It is 75% floodway and a creek runs through the property. Thanks! 


    City of Custer

South Dakota Planners Association

c/o Adam Roach

Address: 231 N. Dakota Ave

Sioux Falls, SD 57104 

© South Dakota Planners Association
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software